One Melwood insider believes Liverpool are lining up one transfer that ‘could blow away supporters’ according to the Liverpool Echo.
The Reds have been frustrated in their efforts to land the majority of their top targets so far this summer, with Mohamed Salah and Dominic Solanke to only two to perform the infamous Melwood lean so far.
Jurgen Klopp is happy with the way the club are conducting their transfer business and believe they will need to continue to be patient if they want to land their number one targets.
Virgil Van Dijk and Naby Keita are the Reds’ top targets for the summer, with Klopp looking to significantly strengthen his squad ahead of his first Champions League campaign with Liverpool.
Reports on Sunday suggest that Van Dijk has informed Southampton of his desire to join Liverpool, after the Reds were forced to issue an apology statement as a result of their overly public pursuit of the Dutchman earlier in the summer.
Interestingly, there have been no links to any other centre-back’s since, and it’s believed that Klopp is still desperate to sign his number one defensive target for the summer.
What will make him even more keen on a deal that would need to double the Reds’ current transfer record, is the fact that Van Dijk has made it clear that he wants to move to Liverpool, despite strong interest from Chelsea and Manchester City.
It would feel like a huge missed opportunity if the Reds failed to do a deal now, especially with a player of this calibre so keen on a move to Anfield. If Van Dijk has told Southampton that he desperately wants a move to Liverpool, then it will be interesting to see what happens next, with the south-coast club adamant that their captain will not leave the club this summer, especially not to Liverpool.
It seems that Liverpool would rather play a waiting game than look to pursue other targets, which could be a suggestion that they’re still very confident of getting their man. We know Klopp likes to have his players in early so he can work with them over pre-season, so waiting for much longer would be a risk, but it looks like they’re willing to take it.
The same could be said of the Reds’ pursuit of RB Leipzig’s £70m rated midfielder Naby Keita. The report also suggests that Keita, too, has his eyes set on a move to Anfield before the new season begins.
Leipzig’s sporting director Ralf Rangnick has made it clear last week that Keita is not for sale at any price, but it looks as if the Reds are hoping Keita will be able to force through a transfer.
In Guinea it’s been reported that the midfielder has informed Leipzig of his desire to leave and Liverpool have not been linked with any other midfield alternatives. Another sign that they’re confident of signing Keita, too?
It’s unclear how strong the Reds’ interest in Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is, but if the club are planning on swooping for the England midfielder, then that could be another similar type of deal. Arsenal are also said to be extremely reluctant to let go of the player, despite his rejection of a new contract.
The longer that drags on without the player signing a new deal, the more pressure the club will be under to sell.
If the club are to land any of these players, we may have to wait a while yet to see any deal confirmed. A risk, but one it seems Liverpool are willing to take.
We’re clutching at draws here, but Monaco’s in-demand midfielder Tiemoue Bakayoko has liked an interesting tweet on social media today.
The 22-year-old Frenchman, who won Ligue 1 with Monaco last season, responded to a tweet which stated that “Chelsea rejected him, United are hesitating. he’s calling everyone, he contacted Liverpool himself.”
Tiemoué Bakayoko "liked" this Tweet: "Chelsea rejected him, United are hesitating, he's calling everyone, he contacted Liverpool himself." pic.twitter.com/5Muqyv3nyV
— Get French Football (@GFFN) July 10, 2017
Who *doesn’t* love a transfer window?