Ian McGarry claims that while the Reds have not made a bid as reports from Italy have suggested, Napoli have been approached by Liverpool over signing Lorenzo Insigne this summer.

Earlier this week, Italian outlet La Repubblica claimed that the Reds had made a €70million bid for the Italian but McGarry says this is not the case.

He says that what is genuine, however, is Liverpool’s interest in Insigne.

READ: Liverpool receive triple injury boost ahead of B’mouth clash

MILAN, ITALY – JANUARY 21: Lorenzo Insigne of SSC Napoli celebrates after scoring the opening goal during the Serie A match between AC Milan and SSC Napoli at Stadio Giuseppe Meazza on January 21, 2017 in Milan, Italy. (Photo by Getty Images/Getty Images)

READ: Liverpool summer transfer plans revealed by top journalist

McGarry told the Transfer Window podcast: “Insigne has been an outstanding, outstanding attacking midfielder or false nine for Italy as well as Napoli.

“He’s a local boy and he is 27 now, he’s had lots of opportunities to move in his career. He’s chosen to stay in Naples and play for his club. There was a big, big story in a very reputable Italian newspaper that Liverpool had made a bid for him. I’ve spoken to some people that I know at Liverpool who said there was no bid.

“It was simply an enquiry as to whether he might be available in the summer as clubs do once the January window closes, they start looking at a strategy for the summer.

“I think the key here, or the factor that probably tells us what’s going to happen, is that Insigne is up for contract renewal and he wants to be paid substantially more than he is being paid just now.”

About The Author

South African Liverpool fan and freelance writer.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.